Sunday, September 2, 2012

Things I meant to remember



Do you remember Queer Eye for the Straight Guy?  Well, the one thing I took away from it is that you should keep a wine diary so that you note what wine you like drinking when you're drinking and make appropriate decision in the future based on those notes.  Such entries would say, I like the 2007 Zinfandel because it is “jammy” and has little tannins just like I like it.  I'm guessing that entries like, "All good, especially the whites," aren't helpful when you're trying to pick a wine to give to a friend and you realize that you didn't keep the tasting notes, and don't really remember if the white was aged in French oaks and is buttery or in steel vats and cold and distant like your soul.

Well, I am finding myself in such similar dilemma.  That example about the whites, yeah, that's on my notes, as are a series of really happy to really sad faces, :D - :'(  that weren't put to proper use in the assessment of the wineries I visited.  To be even more honest, I only wrote notes on two of the nine places we visited.  We did not visit all of them on the first day, either; so do not judge me cruelly. It makes my wine diary inadequate, but when judge in the light of other people's wine tasting experience, I am at least a step ahead of the people who don't even keep a diary, those philistines.

I am currently looking through my wine collection after a very productive wine tasting outing.  I bought a lot of white wine and I am planning to give one to a friend who mentioned that they like sweet white wine.  Crap, I do not.  Based on my tasting notes, I do not know if I bought sweet white wine.  Based on my preferences for white wine, the ones I probably have are of the cold and distant variety due to their harsh upbringing in the steel vats.  However, I wrote a clever note on the card that is going to accompany this wine and hopefully my words will move the drinker to enjoy it.  The second option is for my friend to drink this wine only after having drunk one or two other bottles of wine that they like.  By then, the wine will be superfluous and the experience will be regrettable but not traceable to the wine not being sweet.  Maybe I will add that recommendation to the note.  

I am currently looking, or supposed to be looking, for a wine that I did buy that is jammy.  A jammy zinfandel.  I know I bought one.  But I bought it on the second day after we had a bunch of generous pouring and second tastings, and by the way, I'm a member so HOOK IT UP.  Yeah, it was a great vacation.  But back to my search, I'm going to have to guess which was the jammy wine that I bought because I said, "Yum, jammy," to the person who gave us a our tasting.  I remember saying that but I do not remember to whom I said it.  More importantly, I do not remember what winery I was at.  So, I'm going to have to write a note saying that I think this is the jammy zinfandel that I mentioned to them, but in case it is not, I recommend this as the second bottle of wine they drink.  And I don't think it's a good idea to write a note like that.  It leaves itself open to interpretation and judgment.  Why doesn't she remember whether this was the jammy one?  Was she drunk?  And down a slippery slope of judgements and accusations and paranoia.  

Maybe I should buy a wine diary or not offer to give people wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment